How to use the NEW MAGIC MAT from Scrapbook.com
I’ve been having so much fun using the new MAGIC MAT with my Gemini Junior and my Sizzix Big Kick, but it’s up to YOU to decide if it’s right for you.
You guys probably remember that I was lucky enough to purchase a Magic Mat back in November before they ran out. You can see the unboxing video and one of my first die-cutting with the mat live sessions here.
Well, the new magic mat came back in stock at Scrapbook.com in March, and I just had to grab a couple more before they run out or raise the prices again.
(DISCLAIMER: I was not paid for the creation of this blog post or the videos featured here. I use affiliate links whenever possible in my blog posts and videos. It doesn’t change the way you purchase things, but it allows me to make a percentage off of sales. Thank you for using the links provided & helping me continue to create here.)
See for yourself how I tested the NEW MAGIC MAT in my Gemini Junior!
Video Time Stamps
- Intro: 00:00
- A look at the Gemini Jr. 01:50
- Why your plates warp 03:00
- My preferred sandwich 04:25
- Test Cuts 06:40
- How to flatten it if it does warp 23:40
Here are a few things I’ve learned.
- Warping is caused by the pressure from the rollers in your die-cutting machine. You may be using too much pressure if you are getting a lot of warping.
- reducing the number of shims may help reduce warping
- If you aren’t using shims, using a thinner cutting plate may help
- Create a die-cutting sandwich that works for you and your machine. Experiment and test different alternatives that are available to you.
Here is the sandwich that I’m currently using.
- Gemini Jr. Plate
- Magic Mat (in place of the 2nd Gemini Jr. Plate)
- Sizzix plate (in place of the multiple shims recommended by Crafter’s Companion for the Gemini Jr.)
This combination is doing a couple of things.
- It’s reducing the pressure so that I’m reducing the warping of my clear plates.
- It’s saving me time, energy and mental anguish from trying to remember or figure out which shims to use.
If you don’t have a Sizzix plate to try, just experiment with your shims and start off with low pressure and work your way up until you find the “sweet spot”.
Here are a couple of test cuts with the Gemini Jr and the Magic Mat
WANT TO HELP SUPPORT MY BLOG?
- Watch, Like, Comment and Share this post with all your Crafty friends!
- Buy a card or digi! If you loved this card, you can buy it! Shoot me an email.
- Leave a tip in the tip jar!
- Check out the supply list later in this post for easy shopping. The list includes affiliate links that allow me to make a percentage from sales without any additional cost to you. So shop away!
See for yourself how I tested the NEW MAGIC MAT in my Sizzix Big Kick!
Video Time Stamps
For the Big Kick (or Big Shot), you probably only need one cutting plate and one Magic Mat.
As I mentioned before, if you still have excessive warping, you may want to find some creative ways to reduce the pressure.
One possible solution would be to change the flap on your die-cutting platform and then add shims as needed.
Q & A:
If you have a question about the Magic Mat that isn’t answered here, please let me know in the comments. If I can find the answer, I’ll add it to this section.
- Will the NEW Magic Mat Warp?
Yes, and No. Just like any cutting mat, it can warp due to the pressure from the rollers in your die-cutting machine… but it’s usually much less than your cutting plates and you can fix it by using a heat tool. I use my Ranger Heat It tool. (video time stamp 23:47 )
——— S U P P L I E S ———
(and where to find them)
(DISCLAIMER: I was not paid for the creation of this video. I use affiliate links whenever possible in my blog posts and videos. It doesn’t change the way you purchase things, but it allows me to make a percentage off of sales. Thank you for using the links provided & helping me continue to create here.)
- Paper Hugs dies (Stamp Market)
- Sizzix – Extended Multipurpose Platform (Sizzix)
- Precision Base Plate for Intricate Thinlits Dies (Sizzix)
- Sizzix Accessory – Cutting Pads, Extended, 1 Pair (Sizzix)
- Layered Heart Frame Die (Impression Obsession)
If I can make it, YOU CAN TOO